Opportunities to work for or with the City of Rockaway Beach
All Positions require a filled out city application form.
Download the file below
Currently there are no open positions
City of Rockaway Beach is seeking a Plant Operator
CITY OF ROCKAWAY BEACH
POSITION CLASSIFICATION DESCRIPTION
PLANT OPERATOR I
Under general supervision; performs a variety of technical duties involved in the construction, maintenance, and operation of the City’s public infrastructure and equipment with an emphasis on the City’s water and wastewater systems. This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the City of Rockaway Beach.
This is the entry level class in the Plant Operator series. This level is distinguished from Plant Operator II-III by the performance of mainly routine tasks and duties assigned to positions within this series. Employees at this level are not expected to perform with the same level of independence of direction and judgment on matters as the Plant Operator II-III. Since this level is typically used for training, employees may have limited or no previous related work experience. Work is performed under the immediate supervision of a Plant Operator III or other senior employee designated by the Public Works Superintendent.
This position exercises no supervision but may assist in training temporary or part time employees in routine tasks.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
• Routine operation of water and wastewater treatment plants.
• Routine checks on sewer lift stations and water pumping stations
• Mowing City grounds in and around lift stations, reservoirs and treatment plants
• Maintaining City buildings, equipment and water and sewer infrastructure.
• Collecting water and sewer laboratory samples.
• Assisting with wastewater laboratory
• Hosing down/scrubbing clarifiers and chlorine contact chambers
• Filling out forms or monitoring reports
• Assisting senior employees their tasks including Utility Workers.
• Safe driving principles and practices.
• How to operate and care for a variety of tools and equipment used in water and sewer
system maintenance and repair activities.
• Operate a motor vehicle safely.
• Learn the principles of general maintenance work
• Learn treatment plant operations.
• Learn to operate heavy or specialized City equipment
• Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Use hand and power operated tools
• Maintain daily records.
• Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with
those contacted in the course of work.
EXPERIENCE EDUCATION AND LICENSING REQUIRMENTS
A high school diploma or GED is required.
• Possession of a valid Oregon Driver’s license.
• 0-4 years of experience comparable to a Plant Operator I with the City of Rockaway
• Oregon Water Treatment 1 and Oregon Wastewater Treatment System Operation 1
certification within 2 years.
• Ability to obtain an Oregon Public Pesticide Applicator License with Right-of-Way
endorsement within 1 year.
Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, and lift a 96 lb. sack of
cement; exposure to cold, heat, noise, outdoors, vibration, confining workspace, explosive
materials, and electrical hazards; ability to travel to different sites; availability for shift work, and